Friday, November 5, 2010

Back to the allergist!

I had Sam re-tested at his food challenge in September but ever since I introduced cow's milk he has been telling me his tummy hurts....ugh!  Then he started refusing it all together so I went back to coconut milk.  I didn't love his allergist at St Chris' anyway so when a co-worker highly recommended her allergist I thought I would get a 2nd opinion.  We met with Dr Oh yesterday and I LOVE her, yes that is right LOVE her!!!  She asked more questions about Sam then the previous allergist and his ped have ever asked!  I explained to her that I was just a frustrated mom looking for a second opinion.  She re-tested him for milk along with 17 other highly allergenic things - indoor/outdoor and foods.


The nurse warned me that he would cry when she did the skin test - she was right!  The first 2 sets were 8 each all done at the same time - then 2 single ones.  He screamed - broke my heart!  Then we waited the 20 mins to see what happened.

Good news! No reactions!  Even shellfish (which we haven't tried yet) showed no response.

So we don't really have an answer to why he doesn't feel good on milk - she said a lactose intolerance in toddlers is uncommon - not that he couldn't have one just unlikely.  Her biggest concern w/ not drinking cow's milk was missing out on the protein - I told her no worries there as meat is the only thing he does eat these days - haha

She also said I could cut out cows milk for drinking but I should leave it in his diet (cooking, etc). She has seen kids who have an allergy - then pass the food challenge and then still leave the item out of their diet - when the finally introduce it again the body rejects it and it becomes an allergen again.

I bought some Lactose Free milk as a test - she told me to let her know of the results.  I also got some chocolate soy milk - he always refused reg soy milk.  Other than that he will get water. He is also on a multi-vitamin and calcium supplements - which he loves since they are like gummies =)

We talked a little about the new baby as well - since Sam had a reaction at a young age she is 4 times more likely to have a reaction as well - and she told me I was welcome to bring her in for her first exposure to cows milk - just in case.

We will go back in 6 months just to re-evaluate if needed.

So now I have a plan in place and feel so much better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment