Friday, March 22, 2013

Convo with Sam {death}

Out of the blue last night on the way home from picking up the kids Sam tells me this:


Sam: Mommy, when you and Daddy die me and Hannah will have to get a new house.

Me: When Daddy and I die, you can go live with your Aunt and Uncle.

Sam: No. I don’t want to live with them!

Me: Well where will you live?

Sam: (Big smile) With my Maryland grandma!

Me: Oh yeah?

Sam: Yeah. And then I can live in Maryland forever and ever!

Me: Well Daddy and I aren’t going to die anytime soon.

Sam: Yeah you only die when you are 100!

Me: People die at all ages

Sam: At 4?

Me: Sometimes

Sam: (eyes welling up)  But I don’t want to die. Once you die you are gone forever

Me: Honey, you aren’t going to die. We don’t know when we are going to die - that’s why we should live every day with love and happiness

Sam: And have some candy!

Me: Yes! And some candy!

Me: Were you talking about dying at school today?

Sam: No, I was just thinking about it on my own

-----------------------------
Not sure if I handled that well or not - totally took me by surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment