Friday, October 1, 2010

Look Ma! No Cavities!

I read that kids should see the dentist for the first time around age 1 – I had every intention of taking Sam since he got his teeth pretty early but it never happened!  The other day I noticed his front left tooth was a little gray and I have heard that could happen when trauma occurs…. This summer he fell at the pool and busted his lip pretty bad – his teeth were fine though so I never thought about it again – until now.  So I found a local pediatric dentist “Doc Breslers Cavity Busters” and made an appointment!  I kept telling Sam that we were going to see a dentist and he would check his teeth and tell him to say “ah” and open REALLY wide – Sam thought  this was hilarious and would open his mouth nice and big to show off his teeth. 


So, we arrive at the office and its decorated so kid friendly! Lots of bright colors and fun toys! They had one screen that was touch screen – you could do all sorts of things but I had Sam coloring the animals – he loved it! They also had Xbox set-up and lots of books and other things to keep the kids occupied.




Once in the exam room I had Sam sit on my lap – there was a TV in front of us with cartoons on and fish all over the wall – Sam loved those fish. The hygienist came over and told me she would count Sam’s teeth and then clean them before the dentist took a look himself. I laughed to myself “He’s TWO! How is the heck are you going to clean his teeth????”. Well she pulled out some cartoon stickers – one was the “Cars” car and he had teeth – so she “brushed” the stickers teeth and sang this cute song – then she brushed my hand to show him that mommy is ok with it – then she brushed Sam’s Hand – then she let Sam brush the Car’s teeth – THEN she told him to open up and she did his teeth – OMG he let her!!! I was shocked but thrilled nonetheless!!! Then the Dentist came over and did a quick look – oh and I forgot to mention that the hygienist tells me his bottom molars (or was it the top?) are fully in and the Tops (or was it the bottoms? Haha) are poking out –so he technically has all his teeth now! OMG! When did that happen??? We had some rough sleep patches over the past month and I assumed it was teething those 2yr molars but couldn’t ever see or feel anything… and there they are! My big boy has all his teeth – we are DONE with teething – YAY!!!!


Ok, back to the dentist…. He comes over and check his teeth – says they look great and then we talk about his gray tooth. He says he cant really predict what will happen there. It could stay gray until it falls out around age 5-6 – it could turn white again and fall at around age 5-6 – it could turn black and we would have to pull it – YIKES! He said if Sam ever complains about his tooth hurting I should bring him in – so here is hoping it hangs on another 3-4 years.


He goes back every 6 months now just like a big boy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment