Monday, January 11, 2010

Essential Friendships

I read an article that said that friendships can doing amazing things for your well being and research shows the following “types” of relationships are especially potent for your health. No names are listed but you know who you are!

A childhood friend
Ah yes – these are my most treasured – I have 4 great childhood friends and I love it when I find pics of us when we were in grade school and high school – what great memories! And to have them still in my life means the world to me!

A new friend
This is one that I am missing – I have several new acquaintances that I have met since I moved to PA but no one I would call a friend – it makes me sad but I am not exactly the outgoing one when it comes to meeting new people – hopefully I will form new friendships over the next few years though-

A workout friend
I use to have one when I lived in Roanoke – it was how we became friends – she saw me walking piper everyday and left a note on my door asking if I wanted a walking buddy – after my initial thought of thinking she was a weirdo for leaving a note on a strangers door – LOL – we started walking together every day and it turned into a great friendship! I don’t technically have a workout friend though at the moment…

A spiritual friend
Sometimes I feel like a closet Catholic – I don’t like to openly express my thoughts on God or anything – not sure why….. but I have a great friend who is very spiritual and I love it when she talks freely about God – it makes me feel closer to Him. And I know when I need prayers I can always count on her to say one for me!

A younger friend
I like my younger friends because they keep me feeling young – although sometimes they also make me feel old when they don’t remember something from MY childhood years =)

Your partner’s friends
My husband has a great group of friends and I have become close with several of them – heck, some of them even like me better than they like him hahahah

Your mom
I feel blessed to call my mom a friend – what a gift!

Yourself
I try to take care of myself and treat myself like I want others to treat me – being a friend to yourself means making YOU happy and I think I have done that!

If I could add my own category it would be College friends! When you're 18 and you leave home for the first time in your life you need to be able to count on your friends at college. I learned a lot about myself during those years and your college friends are there to help get you into AND out of trouble =)

And the last category would be for my SIL Karen - she is THE best!!! love you KK!

1 comment:

  1. awww. :) Making friends as an adult is hard...especially when you relocate. I totally understand. I've blogged about this before too. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete