Thursday, January 5, 2012

The days are long the years are short

I am sure by now everyone knows what a high needs little guy I have – since birth he has kept me on my toes and with the arrival of his new sister things got even more challenging….2 kids 1 mommy doesn’t always mix well. 

I try to take things “event” at a time – let me deal with this one issue first – although on a daily basis there could be 10 issues – its exhausting – but don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t give it up for the world.  He has his good moments – I get a surprise kiss or a hug – he tells me he loves me the best – walks over to piper and rubs her little old head – brings Hannah her nonni when she cries – those are the things that let me “somewhat” forget the “other” things…..

I see other kids his age who are just so well behaved and I am like really? Is that normal for a kid to sit there all nice and quiet??”  LOL  Meanwhile my little guy is running around like crazy – creating chaos wherever he goes – sometimes I wonder why God picked me to be Sam’s mom – what was he thinking?? 

 Most of the time I feel like I cant handle him by myself and it makes me sad – but also thankful for Mark who does a great job with him! Anyway I came across this video and sat down to watch it once the kids were in bed and I cried….alot…. I felt relieved….I felt like I wasn’t alone anymore….I felt like my kid was “normal”…. And its so nice to hear at the end of the video that at some point all those crazy toddlers turned into pretty awesome kids!  Yes!  A light at the end of the dark (and sometiems scary) tunnel!

Now I must say I have already seen one HUGE change and it has been wonderful….fabulous….stress relieving…..supercalifragiliscious…. oh ok you get what I mean…. Sam started daycare at 5 months and those early months I think he was too young to cry at drop off but once he moved into a new room at 12 months the separation anxiety started and it never.stopped.ever.ever…. until about a month ago.  Yep, Sam cried, held on to my leg for dear life while the teacher pulled him away from me every day.  At first I felt bad for Sam but then it got old and exhausting on me – I knew his teachers and I knew he loved school (when I picked him up he didn’t want to go home!)  but drop-offs were a nightmare.  Sure we would have a random “ok” drop off but then the next day back to his screaming and crying….. then out of the blue the first week of December I dropped him off and when I left he walked me to the door and then shut it – then waved goodbuy and blew me a kiss… then walked back to the table to eat his breakfast….. OMG!!!!  It was heaven – I didn’t want to jinx myself but I thought – is this it?  Is it over?  Almost 3 years of tears and with the click of a switch its over?  Its been a month almost and I am happy to report drop off’s are still going perfectly!  It is sooo nice to kiss him goodbuy and leave with no tears in sight!

So after watching the video I have so much more hope that “this too shall pass” and am trying to enjoy my little guy every day… the good and the not so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment