Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Potty Training

I have always been in the camp of waiting for your child to be ready to Potty Train rather than push it on them – granted I would have loved for Sam to be Potty Trained at 2 but obviously that wasn’t in the cards! Then with the baby coming everyone told me to wait otherwise he may regress once the baby arrives…so I sat back and waited for Sam to be ready. So here we are at 2yrs 9 months. Sam’s teacher was the one who told me he is ready. He sees the other kids in his class wearing underwear and he told her that he wanted to wear Buzz Lightyear underwear! She told me that if I was up to it to bring in several pairs of underwear and shorts and we could try on Monday. So this past weekend Sam and I headed out to buy underwear (he picked out Buzz, Thomas, and Cars) and I grabbed 4 pairs of slip on shorts – we are ready!


Day 1 - Monday June 20th

He wouldn’t put on underwear at home so I sent him to school in a diaper and he gladly put them on for Miss Megan – I swear he likes her more than he likes me! Lol

He went all day with no accidents – he did wear a diaper at naptime though. He told Miss Megan when he had to pee and he even told her when he had to poop! I picked him up at 4pm and they were outside playing – we went in to get his stuff and I turned around and he looked sad – I asked him what was wrong and he said “I peed mommy” I look down and there is a puddle. I told him it was ok and we changed him – but he refused to put on underwear – said he wanted a diaper – he didn’t like underwear. So, I put him in a diaper – again, I am trying to let Sam take the lead on this whole Potty Training thing!

So, day 1 had 1 accident – not bad at all!!!

Day 2 - Tuesday June 21st

Once again he wouldn’t put on underwear at home so I put him in a diaper and once again he put them on for Miss Megan – yes, he does like her more than me – hahaha. Today he peed and pooped in the potty - way to go Sammy!!! I checked his daily and see that he is going a lot so as soon as I bring him in I say “lets go potty” and he goes! Yes! We get home and he continues to tell me when he needs to pee and poop!

This was his schedule today :

8:40am pee

9:10am pee and poop

10:30am pee

12pm pee

3pm pee

4:15pm pee

5:20pm pee and poop

6:30pm pee

Then a diaper for bedtime

Day 2 – no accidents! Yes!


Day 3 - Wednesday June 22nd

I wake him up and say lets go potty! He says no! So we go downstairs – he sees his underwear by his clothes –

Sam: I don’t like underwear!

Me: Why not? You do great in big boy underwear!

Sam: No! I want a diaper!

Me: Ok go get me a diaper then.

(he doesn’t move)

Me: Hey, if you put on underwear you can have a marshmallow (yes I bribe my kid)

Sam: Can I have a diaper marshmallow? (being silly)

Me: no silly! You get a marshmallow if you wear underwear!

(he brings me a diaper and I take off his nighttime diaper)

Sam: I have to pee mommy!

Me: Ok lets go!

(Sam pees in the potty – then we go back in the living room and he hands me the underwear!!! Yay!)

Sam: I want a marshmallow!

Me: You got it buddy!

(he gets his marshmallow and Mommy and Sammy are both happy =))
 
He peed and poop in the potty today at school and at home
 
Day 3 - no accidents! woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
This is soooo easy.....  The funny part is there wasnt any "training" involved - we put him in underwear and he did the rest - how great is that!  So glad I waited for him to be ready =)
 
So proud of you Sam!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe he likes the underwear at school because "all the other kids are doing it" and he likes the diaper at home "b/c that's what Hannah does" AND he likes the extra attention from mom?! Sounds like he's doing great though! I just realized all my little people are being potty trained at the same time...then I realized they are all the same age. ha.

    ReplyDelete