Monday, August 24, 2009

Worry Wart!

When we choose to be parents, we accept another human being as part of ourselves, and a large part of our emotional selves will stay with that person as long as we live. From that time on, there will be another person on this earth whose orbit around us will affect us as surely as the moon affects the tides, and affect us in some ways more deeply than anyone else can. Our children are extensions of ourselves.-- Fred Rogers

It never ends does it?

The older Sam gets the more I worry about him.

He is eating enough?
Is he eating too much?
Is he nursing enough?
Is he drinking enough water with lunch?
How are his poops? lol
Is he hot?
Is he cold?
Is he tired?
Does he hurt?
Is he happy?
Is he sad?
Is he having fun?
Should I sing more?
Should I snuggle with him or let him down to play?
Should I catch him when he falls or let him fall so he learns to get back up?
Should I run to him when he cries at night or wait and see if he settles on his own?

Some nights I lay in bed and wonder what he will be like when he is older

Will he make friends easy?
Will he still be cute as a button?
Will he be short? Haha
Will he have tantrums in the middle of the grocery store??? Oh geez! I hope not!
Will he cry when I tell him no?
Will he hate me at some point in his life?

I know I have no control over what happens but I cant help but worry about him. I love him so much and I think that is why I worry. I want him to have this perfect little life and I will do everything I can to makes sure he grows up happy, healthy, and secure in who he is.

Sam,

This is my promise to you:

I will let you grow in your own way. I will let you make your own decisions. I will let you fall, but will be there to pick you up. I will let you be disappointed, but will be there to lend an ear. I will hold your hand when you need me to and let go when you don’t. I will be there with advice when you ask. I will back off when you need to be alone. I will be your friend, but your mom first. I will teach you to ride a bike, how to bake cookies and how to fold a fitted sheet. I will teach you about respect and God and how to be honest. I will teach you to drive a car and how to parallel park. I will tell you I love you every single day and kiss you goodnight each and every night. I will read to you, help you with homework and science projects. I will play in the rain with you and let you lick the spoon when baking a cake. I will cheer you on if you play sports and will watch your concert if you decide to play an instrument. I will teach you about the world around you, how to care for pets, and how to tie your shoes. I will let you be you and try not to to be a pushy mom. My love for you is unconditional – no matter what you do, say, or where you are, I will always love you. You are my child, my soul, my everything.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Gina, that was beautiful. I know you can do it all. I remember when I got mad at you kids, it was so hard to kiss you all goodnight. You all would say, "I hate you", and I would smile and say "I love you"..... I think that even made you all madder. LOL. You are an awesome Mom. You have made me very proud of you by the way you are raising Sam. Just remember, tough love becomes good love in the end. I love you, Mom PS. Can you show me how to fold fitted sheets??? ha ha

    ReplyDelete