Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Me, Sam, and TED!

Sam and I are on a TED for milk – that is Total Elimination Diet for you non-acroynm folks out there – lol

At 6 months I introduced yogurt and Sam loved it! He gobbled it up but then I noticed a small rash on his chin…it went away after 30 mins. The next day we tried again, same thing. Hmmm…. so day 3 we tried and this time he got hives on his chin, and face! Grrrr!

I mention this to the ped and they said to hold off on dairy for now but we could try cheese at 9 months.

Around 9 months or so I was eating some cheese filled tortolenni and was being careful not to give him any cheese , next thing you know he got hives on his face- dag! Must have had some cheese! Around 10 months I decided to try some gerber cheese crackers and once again hives! Ok, so, no cheese, no yogurt! A few days later I gave him a wagon wheel to chew on (hard cracker like snack) and his upper lip swelled – scary! I checked the ingredients and there was milk in them!

I read that if you TOTALLY eliminate dairy and there is an allergy that the child MAY grow out of it. We cant get in to see the allergist until October so I figured we would try this on our own and see what happens. Sam has had a constant runny nose and small rash on his shoulders and I cant help but think its milk related.

So…..

Sunday we started a milk TED!

I went to Whole Foods and got some pancakes and blueberry muffins and fruit bars (all dairy free) for Sam’s breakfast.

I picked up some coconut milk for me to use when cooking/baking (hahaha, yeah right, me cook?) ok so I got it for my coffee and I also got some ice cream made with coconut milk – that is yummy!!!! The coconut milk in the coffee is ok but I miss my International Delights French vanilla creamer =( I also got Sam some yogurt made with coconut milk – he loves it!!!

It’s amazing how much stuff contains milk! I have to check all ingredients carefully as milk is also called whey and casein – makes grocery shopping much longer! Today I snagged a soft pretzel at daycare figuring its flour water and salt right? I eat half then stop and wait to get to work to finish it – I check the ingredients online and contains sodium cassinate – MILK! WTH???? Pretzel goes in the trash and now I have milk in me – grrrr!

Everything in the vending machine has milk!

Did you know most breads contain milk? So that means no more fast food since the buns probably have milk (that is probably a good thing!)

I was going to have a biscuit on Sunday – nope, has milk!

Not eating stuff with milk is hard!

It takes 2-3 weeks to get milk out of your system and to notice any changes – wish us luck – its gonna be a long 3 weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Wow I did not realize that milk was in so many different things. But Coconut milk made icecream? Yummmmm Can't wait to hold my little grandson and see you. It seems like forever since I have seen you two. You know, its like wanting a cookie! lol That was cute. Soooo see you all in about 28 hours. hugs to all and much love. PS I just love this Blog......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish you lots of luck and commend you for your efforts. We will take good care of you when you are here :-)

    ReplyDelete