Thursday, May 28, 2009

Infant CPR and First Aid

My friend Lynsi had suggested to me awhile back to take an infant CPR class , so when Sam's school offered one I jumped at the chance! The class was great! They taught us CPR and first aid for babies under 1 yr and then kids 1-8yrs old. We practiced on Baby Annie (doll obviously) and it made me feel so much more comfortable knowing exactly what to do if Sam ever stops breathing or is choking. I learned that to check the pulse in an adult you use the neck (carodid artery) but in babies you have to check the brachial artery which is in the upper arm - I had no clue! Also, new CPR "rules" tell you to do 30 compressions for every 2 breaths for ALL ages - the old rule varied from 5-12 compressions depending on age. We even practiced simple first aid techniques which was a nice refresher.

So, if you havent already taken a class I highly suggest it!

No comments:

Post a Comment