Friday, March 19, 2010

God, grant me patience.... but hurry!

This is my new mantra – I remember growing up my mom had this posted somewhere.

I have never been a patient person – I get irritated easily and worried about this constantly when I was pregnant…. How could I handle a child when I have zero tolerance for whining???
I learned that just as miraculous as babies are so is learning patience and I must give myself 2 thumbs up for doing so well. Granted, I still don’t have much patience in general but when it comes to Sam I have learned to have a lot of it.

Take last night….

We are sitting at the table eating dinner and he is eating beans (pork-n-beans, NOT the green ones – ha-ha), pumpkin and meatballs – everything is going great until he decides it would be fun to fill his spoon with pumpkin and then pound the spoon on the table – thus spewing pumpkin everywhere….. patience…. patience…. I calmly tell him dinner is all done and take the spoon and food away. Well, he freaks out – trying to get out of his chair, trying to hit me even though I am by the sink (not close by) and the tears are flowing!!! I clean off his hands and this is also met with much resistance – I give him a kiss and tell him we don’t throw food then offer some water (from a water bottle which he LOVES) and he calms down and takes a sip – I tell him yummy! And instantly he smiles…. Tears have stopped and the “event” is over.
Mom and child are both happy =)
Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment