Wednesday, July 1, 2009

31 Minutes

It’s a L-O-N-G thirty one minutes when your child is crying and wants you to hold them

I have been reading about sleep training your child and they say the best time to do this is between 9-10 months –and since my good little sleeper has gone away I figured it was time! I had my mind set before I went to sleep that I would nurse him upon his first waking and then I was going to have to let him cry. In the past I would always pick him up and soothe him repeatedly, not tonight I thought – I need to be quick and not upset him more than I have too. A method I read about which lots of girls on the parenting boards swear by is to go in at intervals, each a little longer than the previous one and simply tell them its bedtime and pat their back one time and LEAVE!

So, Sam woke at 11pm. I went in and nursed him and when he was finished he fell asleep – so I walk to the crib and as soon as I lay him down he sits up and starts crying. I tell him its time for sleep, I love you and leave. Clock says 11:30 on the dot.

11:35pm – I wait 5 minutes. I walk in and he immediately stops crying, actually I turned on the bathroom light so I could see and he stopped crying – LOL – little stinker he KNEW I was coming! He is sitting up so I lay him down and try to give him Nelson (paci) he doesn’t want it – I tell him its time to sleep and that I love him – I leave

11:42pm – This time I wait 7 minutes. I walk in, again he stops crying, he is sitting up again, I lay him down, try to give him Nelson, tell him I love him and its time to sleep – I leave

11:51pm – This time I wait 9 minutes. I walk in, again he stops crying, he is sitting up again, I lay him down, try to give him Nelson, tell him I love him and its time to sleep – I leave

11:56pm – It gets quiet for a moment and I think ok, 26 mins, not TOO bad, then he starts crying again. I will next check on him after 11 mins, so 12:02am

12:01am – Quiet

12:03am – I decide to go check on him one last time and I see that he has fallen asleep sitting up and his head is in the bumper – scares the crap of out me even though I know he is old enough to move his head if he cant breathe – I move him to his tummy, he fusses – OH CRAP! – I shove Nelson in his mouth and he goes to sleep.

6:20am – I wake Sam for the day and he greets me with the biggest smile…. He still loves me ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment