Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Transitions

Sam's classroom is on the top right
Sam started at his new school today – The Malvern School – its similar to the Goddard school so I think I will be very happy with him here.  I have been very anxious about this day – hoping for the best but expecting the worst – I knew he would revert to his old ways of screaming and holding on to me for dear life as I walked out the door….. boy was I wrong!!

When he woke up this morning I told him he starts his new school today!  He asked if he was going to still be a “puppy” (his classroom at Goddard) – I told him nope, no more puppies – you are now a big boy in pre-school!  We get there and he is excited to ring the doorbell – the school is secured and during our visits there we didn’t yet have a pass code – we go in and he runs to the Fascination Station area (for kids 0-2) and starts playing  - I tell him we need to go upstairs (another bonus, BIG kids get to go upstairs – he loves this!  =)) 

I go in the kitchen to heat up his breakfast and he runs out to the Discovery Center (for kids 3 and up) and then comes running back and shows me a huge giraffe he found.  Miss Sharon tells him he can take it into his classroom.  We put away his things then I put his breakfast on the table – there are only 2 other kids there so far.  He is acting shy but isn’t crying, or whining, or anything like that.  I go to leave and he follows me to the door – I tell him I have to go to work and I will see him later – he isn’t buying it but still no tears and no clinging.  Miss Amberleigh comes over and asks him if he wants to look at the cars and he says yes – so he takes her hand and walks to the window – I say goodbye and leave.

Wow. 

It was the BEST possible outcome! I called around 9:30 to see how he was doing and they said great!  He was playing with other kids and helping the teachers – just like he had been in the class for months!  Yay!! When I picked him up he was playing outside in a gigantic sandbox – like 10 ft by 10ft!  I knew he was loving that!!  Sam came over to me and I asked him if he had a good day and he said yeah it was fun!  =)

Update:
Day 2 went just as well – In the morning Sam told me “Mom, I am ready for school” – I was like ummm, what?  Ok!  Lets go!  He has never asked to go to school before!  We get there and I am making his breakfast and he disappears… I find him in the classroom playing… just like he has been there for years!  I kiss him goodbye and tell him I love him and as I walk out the door he says “mom” – I turn around and he says “I’m not gonna cry”  awwww… I gave him a big smile and left…. He walked over and started eating his breakfast…. Wow, did I luck out with this transition or what!?!  ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment